KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian police today confirmed the release of four Malaysian sailors who were kidnapped and held captive for over two months in an undisclosed location in Sulu.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim told the New Straits Times that the news, which had been circulating since afternoon, was true.
“It’s true (they have been released). They are okay,” he said when contacted earlier.
Philippine authorities had confirmed that the 4 kidnapped victims had been
- News portal Philstar.com in a report, quoted Sulu Provincial Police director Senior Superintendent Wilfredo Cayat as confirming that the victims had been freed.
- Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) spokesperson Major Filemon Tan Jr, meanwhile said the victims were confirmed to have been released as on Wednesday morning.Tan said intelligence units are still gathering information on when and where the Abu Sayyaf released their Malaysian captives.
- No additional details were offered by the police and military sources there on the release procedure, which was believed to have happened before midnight on Tuesday.
The four Sarawakians are Wong Teck Pang, 31; Wong Hung Song, 34; Wong Teck Chi, 29; and Johnny Lau Jung Hien, 21.
On April 1, the four, who were travelling in a tugboat coming from Manila heading towards Tawau, when they were abducted by gunmen who intercepted their vessel.
They were later taken to the southern Philippines.
Source: News Straits Times