KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today expressed his shock over reports that two Malaysians were involved in the recent suicide bombings in Iraq and Syria.
He said such an ideology neither belonged in Malaysia nor was derived from Islam.
The government, he said, was committed to countering terrorism from all aspects both domestically and internationally.
"Shocked and appalled to hear that two Malaysians were reported to have been involved in suicide bombings in Iraq and Syria, resulting in the loss of more than 30 innocent lives."Their actions and ideology have no place in Malaysia or Islam, and the government is absolutely committed to fighting terrorism in all its forms and guises, both at home and overseas," he said in his Facebook post yesterday.
He said the government would spare no effort in finding out how and why the two men were able to commit such atrocious acts, and would take all measures necessary to prevent others from doing so in the future.
In an exclusive report by the New Straits Times on Monday, sources said two Malaysian suicide bombers blew themselves up, killing more than 30 others during their assigned missions in Syria and Iraq last week.