
The country’s Met Office said a “multi-pronged attack” of wind, rain
and snow would sweep across the country after making landfall in
southwest England early Friday.

The heavy rain could lead to another 1,000 houses being evacuated, the Environment Agency told the Daily Telegraph, with downpours of up to 40mm forecast to fall in just six hours.
Prime Minister David Cameron reiterated his promise to do “whatever it takes” to help stricken communities.
“People need to be reassured that we will do whatever it takes to help people during this very difficult time.”

The swollen River Thames was expected to reach its highest level for 60 years at the weekend, promising fresh misery for flooded towns west of London where the military is providing relief.
- Cameron has said he will seek financial aid from the European Union to cope with the floods, despite his promises to renegotiate London’s relationship with Brussels and hold a referendum.
- “There is assistance that we are seeking from the EU,” he said. “Some of the money I’m making available for Britain’s farmers comes out of an EU budget.”
- His government has faced criticism for being slow to help people in flood-hit areas.
- Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg later announced a £250,000 fund to advise those hit by the floods.
- Gusts approaching 160km/h tore at parts of England and Wales overnight on Wednesday.
- One man died after being electrocuted while attempting to move a fallen tree that had brought down power lines in Wiltshire, southwest England, the first to be killed in the latest round of storms.
- The floods were also spreading, as water filled the historic crypt of Winchester Cathedral in the southern county of Hampshire.
- Authorities also issued a new severe flood alert, the highest category indicating danger to life, for the River Severn in western England, bringing the total across the country to 17. There are another 14 in Berkshire and Surrey to the west of London and two in the southwestern county of Somerset.

Emergency efforts were picking up following criticism of a sluggish response, and the military said 1,600 soldiers had been deployed with 2,000 in total available.
Train operator Network Rail said teams armed with chainsaws and pumps were on stand-by to deal with Friday’s forecast storm.

“There’s a big human cost here and I absolutely recognise that,” Carney
told ITV News. “Then there’s the disruption to economic activity that
we see just through transport, but farming clearly will be affected for
some time, (and) other businesses.
Source: Agencies
Post a Comment