
Thousands of protesters march from Government House to the Si Sao Thewes home of Gen Prem Tinsulanonda to press him to resign as president of the Privy Council
Mr Kasit yesterday confirmed security arrangements after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was besieged on Tuesday by red-shirt protesters when he left the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, where the summit will be held.
Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said the incident had not been anticipated. Security for the leaders participating in the summit will adhere to international standards.

"Protests are a basic right, but we will not accept violence which could happen," he said.
So far, no government of the participating countries had inquired about the safety of the summit. The Foreign Ministry had given a briefing about the issue a few days ago, he said.

Mr Kasit said he cancelled a meeting with foreign envoys in Bangkok yesterday because of the demonstrations.
He will join the East Asian summit as well as other meetings with the foreign envoys on April 17 as planned.
National police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwon said police have designated an area for protesters who turn up at the summit 2km from the venue.
Courtesy: Bangkok Post
Post a Comment