SOLYMONE BLOG
Showing posts with label Illegal immigrants. Show all posts

IMMIGRANT CRACKDOWN WILL HIT MALAYSIA'S WORKFORCE AND HARM PRODUCTIVITY?

Tuesday, November 11, 2014
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Farmers here say the authorities’ efforts to round up immigrants will ultimately deprive them of their main workforce and harm productivity.
This follows the government’s decision to launch wide-scale operations against illegal immigrants who were allegedly responsible for encroaching some 6000ha of land in the highlands.
One farmer, who only wanted to be identified as Lim, claimed that the authorities were barking up the wrong tree because only a small portion of the land was actually encroached by illegal immigrants.
“Most of the immigrants do not even own the land unless they have some sort of sharing deal with the farm owners, which is uncommon,” he said.

  • “I can tell you that most of the immigrants here are hired to carry out manual labour and heavy work.”
  • Lim said many farmers were forced to hire foreign workers because the local residents were not interested in working the farmlands.
  • He said the immigrants were willing to do heavy work such as fertilising and planting the crops.

He said he could not confirm whether the vegetable produce would be dropping significantly but noted the lack of foreign workers would have an impact on productivity.
Another farmer, who only wanted to be known as Khoo, said it was difficult for farmers like him to make ends meet without hiring foreign workers.
Another farmer, who wished to be known as Cheng, advised the authorities to look into more long-term solutions to help the farmers survive while maintaining the highlands’ environment.
Meanwhile,  the Home Ministry has proposed mandatory whipping as punishment to be meted out for illegal agents bringing in immigrants into the country.
Its minister, Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (pic), said such punishment will serve as a lesson for illegal agents as they were seen to be indifferent towards enforcement action taken by authorities.





Source: Agencies
Read On 0 comments

483 ILLEGALS NABBED IN SABAH DRAGNET

Tuesday, May 13, 2014
KOTA KINABALU, East Malaysia  - A five-hour Ops Gasak 8 has netted 483 illegal immigrants in Sabah's east coast district of Semporna. 
Eastern Sabah Security Command Defence division director Mej-Jen Datuk Masrani Paiman said the detainees had no travel documents. 
They were among 551 people who were screened during the exercise that started at 2.30am yesterday. 
"Those without travel documents have been referred to the Immi­gration Department for deportation," he said in a statement. 
Mej-Jen Masrani said raids were carried out on five villages - Kampung Air, Bangau-Bangau, Ubian, Panji and Kampung Halo. 
  • He said the detainees, mostly Filipinos, were now housed at the Sandakan temporary detention centre while awaiting deportation. 
  • Similar operations will be carried out in other areas within the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (Esszone). 
  • There are 10 districts in Esszone, including Kudat, Kota Marudu, Pitas, Beluran and Sandakan. The others are Lahad Datu, Kinabatangan, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau.
In early March, 29-year-old Gao Hua Yun from Shanghai and 40-year-old Marcy Dayawan @ Mimi were abducted from the Singgahmata Reef Resort in Semporna. 
The incident occurred several months after a Taiwanese national, Chang An Wei, 57, had been abducted by armed men from Pom Pom island.
In the November incident, Chang's companion, Li Min Hsu, 57, died after being shot several times by the armed men.
Chang was freed a month later in December after a sizable ransom was reportedly paid for her release.

Source: AsiaOne
Read On 0 comments

MALAYSIA GAZETTES 10 FACILITIES TO HOLD ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND CRIME GANG MEMBERS

Tuesday, September 10, 2013
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Home Ministry has gazetted another 10 facilities around the country as detention centres to hold those nabbed in the two major operations against illegal immigrants and crime gang members.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said that with the total of 22 centres, there would not be any issue about shortage of places to hold the detainees.
He said that when the authorities decided on the operations, the capacity of the existing detention centres had been taken into consideration.
"We will be catching more and more people and this (space for detainees) is an administrative issue.
"I can gazette more facilities, so, don't worry, we have enough space," he said at a press conference after attending a briefing on the religious and counseling module for Prison Department staff and police here yesterday.
Presently, there are 12 detention centers around the country and each is capable of holding up to 1,000 people.
Immigration director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad said last week the department had made a request to the Government to set up a temporary detention centre for 4,000 people in Selangor following the increase in the number of illegal immigrants detained.
The two major operations being carried out are Ops Cantas Khas which targets criminal gangs and Ops 6P Bersepadu to flush out unwanted foreigners in the country.
  • More than 5,500 people have been arrested in Ops Cantas Khas while under the 6P operations some 5,000 illegals have been rounded up.

Source: Asia News Networks
Read On 0 comments

MALAYSIAN DR M IMPLICATES PKR LEADER IN PROJECT IC

Friday, February 01, 2013
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today suggested a well known opposition supremo Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s involvement in the issuance of identity cards to illegal immigrants in Sabah but he admitted having no proof to back his claim.
The former prime minister (picture) alleged that the so-called “Project IC” might have happened without any knowledge and orders from the top.


  • “Anwar had a hand, but in the IC project, what happens on the ground isn’t always what the directives are all about,” Dr Mahathir told reporters here.
  • “What they do on the ground is sometimes different from the instructions that are given.”
  • He insisted that he has only now heard about the “wrongful things” being done on the ground in Sabah.
  • “Yes, it’s his own initiative,” replied Dr Mahathir when asked whether the exercise was on Anwar’s own initiative.
Dr Mahathir had earlier joked that his former deputy prime minister can sometimes be too keen for his own good, when asked whether he had asked Anwar to handle the Project IC.
“He normally takes the initiative himself, I don’t have to tell him. He took more initiative than I would like him to,” Dr Mahathir said.
He however admitted that he has no evidence admissible in court to back his allegations regarding Anwar.

Source: The Malaysian Insider...More...
Read On 0 comments

FORMER MALAYSIAN PM ADMITS GIVEN OUT CITIZENSHIPS TO FOREIGNERS?

Saturday, January 19, 2013
SHAH ALAM, Malaysia – Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today admitted that citizenship were given to foreigners in Sabah, but stressed that it was “within the law”.
The former prime minister was asked to comment on the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) on Sabah’s illegal immigrants issue.
“When I was prime minister, I was in power to determine the implementation of government policies.
“The government received foreigners to be citizens if (they) fulfilled certain conditions, furthermore many of those who are in Sabah are there not one, two days but already 20 to 30 years and they speak in Bahasa Melayu, they have the right to be Malaysians,” Dr Mahathir (picture) said at a press conference here.
“So the problem is when there are people who are tidak senang (unhappy) when there are some who become Malaysians although those individuals have already resided in Malaysia, that is what causes problems.”
“Why we want to reject them? They work. If they commit crimes, they are exposed to our country’s laws too. But they are needed by Sabah,” he later added.
Throughout the press conference, he repeatedly stressed that the giving of citizenships to foreigners was “within the law”.
“I never deny it were given. What I deny is that I did something against the law, that I will deny.”
When asked if he was saying that the Project IC was lawful, he said: “Yes, it is lawful.”
Earlier in the press conference, Dr Mahathir was asked if the handing out of citizenships to foreigners was politically-motivated and to enable Umno to take over Sabah.
He replied: “I mean that is their right. Once they become citizens, whether they support Umno, Barisan Nasional, that is their business.”
  • “We know for a fact that not all of them are supporters of Barisan Nasional,” he added.
  • He also reminded reporters of the country’s first prime minister Tunku Abdul Rahman, claiming that he gave out citizenships to those who were unqualified to receive it.
  • “One should also look back and remember that Tunku Abdul Rahman was worse than me, he gave one million citizenships to people who are not qualified and were not even tested.”
  • “Why is it when he does it, it is not wrong, and when I do it, it’s wrong?” he asked.
  • Dr Mahathir, the country’s longest serving prime minister who was in power from 1981 to 2003, has been accused of spearheading the so-called “Project IC”, in which citizenships were allegedly given to immigrants in exchange for their votes.
  • But former Sabah Chief Minister Tan Sri Harris Salleh, who administered the state from 1976 to 1985, denied on Tuesday the existence of “Project IC”.
The late former deputy home affairs minister Tan Sri Megat Junid Megat Ayub was accused of ordering the National Registration Department (NRD)’s Sabah branch to issue temporary documents to allow immigrants to vote in a 1994 state election.
Dr Mahathir was today also asked if he had knowledge of Megat Junid’s alleged order just two weeks before the 1994 state election.
“... (But) that is either coincidental or deliberate, I wouldn’t know. But that is within the law. That it happened before elections doesn’t mean it is against the law,” he said.

Source: The Malaysian Insider
Read On 0 comments

VISITORS DETAIL LOCATION


VISITORS GEOFLAGS SINCE AUGUST 26, 2009

SABAH, MALAYSIAN BORNEO - THE LAND BELOW THE WIND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwwqqEiV0is

National Portal News Onine

Translate

TOTAL PAGES VIEW SINCE 30 DAYS AGO

TRANSLATE TO YOUR LANGUAGE

Solymone

My photo
Tenghilan, TUARAN, Sabah, Malaysia

MY FACEBOOK

VISITORS LOCATION GLOBE

VISITORS NATIONAL FLAG

VISITORS GEOFLAGS BY CITY

WHY I KEEP RE-VISITING SABAH

WHY I KEEP RE-VISITING SABAH
Clicks To Read

IINTERNATIONAL BLOGSPOT

BLOG ARCHIVE

MALAYSIAN BORNEO BLOGGERS

MALAYSIAN BORNEO BLOGGERS

...................................................................

...................................................................
MALAYSIAN
Blog Widget by LinkWithin